We are looking for a passionate Cosmetic Chemist who will creatively design formulations that expand upon our core offerings and express our brand promises. We are seeking an individual that is driven by curiosity to innovate, and the desire to develop new formulas that both excite and deliver solutions to our customers. They must be comfortable formulating with natural raw materials and working within the EO Charter of allowed chemistry, including various natural and organic certification standards. The Formulation Scientist will utilize their experience as a chemist to create their leadership skills to inspire, their entrepreneurial drive to identify opportunities, and their organizational mindset to keep development projects on track.
What you'll be doing:
- Create and develop innovative and differentiated product solutions from concept to commercialization with a focus on ‘clean label’ formulations and green chemistry; modify or improve existing formulas for both cost and efficacy.
- Maintain clear and accurate records of formulations, procedures, observations, and results.
- Conduct stability testing and troubleshoot unstable formulas to ensure commercial feasibility
- Maintain advanced knowledge of raw material innovations and emerging research in the cosmetic science field by proactively researching new concepts, materials, processes, and technical opportunities
- With support from the R&D and Supply Chain teams, source, validate, and set specifications for new raw materials according to internal standards
- Maintain advanced knowledge of cosmetic regulations for cosmetics and active ingredients
- Serve as a technical and problem-solving resource
- Work closely with the Product Commercialization team; supporting sampling, feedback surveys, multiple rounds of product submissions.
- Champion all laboratory safety and hygiene SOP’s, and lead updates as needed
- Keep organized and clean work and storage areas
Research and Development
- Source new raw materials for current and future formulations.
- Stay informed of current and developing industry trends – novel chemistry, new essential oils, marketplace trending.
- Remain actively connected to EO Brand leaders to capture product roster vision and align research accordingly
- Keep up to date on best practices and procedures in the field of personal care cosmetics, including mixing and blending theory.
- Actively review existing products and methods for opportunities to improve
- Ensure effectiveness and quality of our preservative systems and understanding of industry developments related to natural preservation options.
- Keep up to date on all regulatory and industry standards (WF, FDA, ARB, NOP, etc.)
What you'll bring:
- B.S. or M.S. in chemistry, chemical engineering or related scientific discipline
- 5+ years of lead-formulating experience in cosmetic / personal care
- Working knowledge, and progressive understanding of natural emulsion techniques (o/w, w/o, and micro-emulsions), natural thickeners, green surfactant systems, actives, next generation preservation systems
- Demonstrable creative thinking and formulation skills
- Project management experience, including the use of PM software applications
- Must be able to easily adapt to priority changes and able to work on simultaneous projects to meet established deadlines
- Ability to work collaboratively and be self-driven for success
- Experience managing teams
- Some travel may be required
We offer a fun, casual place to work & grow, vacation, medical, dental, matching 401k, profit sharing bonus and employee discounts. Our company culture values responsibility, collaboration, integrity and passion. We've been named Best Places to Work by the North Bay Business Journal. Learn how we ensure our work is love made visible at www.eoproducts.com/pages/about-us.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.