General managers, multi-unit regional managers, retail food managers and grocery business consultants: Are you interested in work that allows you to support the success and social impact of retail food co-ops? Would you like to apply your financial and retail expertise to supporting socially responsible, independent, and community-owned grocery stores? Are you a strong communicator with outstanding customer service?
National Co+op Grocers (NCG) is a member-owned business service cooperative providing a variety of services to retail food co-ops in 39 states. NCG helps unify food co-ops to optimize operational and marketing resources, strengthen purchasing power, and offer more value to food co-op shoppers everywhere.
We are seeking an energetic and experienced individual, able to work with general managers and other senior leaders and decision makers to assess and improve the overall sustainability and growth of their businesses. This candidate will identify, recommend and help implement strategies, tools and resources to help community-owned grocery stores achieve their goals.
This position will be based in the Eastern United States and requires up to 50% business travel including overnights and weekends (when business travel resumes more broadly). Diverse applicants are encouraged to apply.
We support locally owned members of the community, co-ops that keep their investment dollars in the vicinity by supporting local farmers, food artisans, and other local businesses, and providing jobs for people in the area. Be a part of something great!
- Serve as the account manager for select regional retail food co-ops, communicating regularly with the assigned designated representatives (DRs) to keep them apprised of programs and services, deadlines, program changes, and relevant information.
- Monitor retail and operational performance of assigned co-ops, and ensure that NCG remains aware of developments, trends, concerns and opportunities.
- Develop relationships with other key stakeholders at assigned co-ops to provide informed guidance, identify and develop high performers, and create comprehensive solutions for success.
- Facilitate and lead peer support activities among assigned co-ops that meet common needs and promote a strong peer network.
- Maintain current information about co-op news, stakeholders, and plans; brief and advise NCG staff about the co-op to achieve business objectives.
- Provide onsite and remote coaching, support and assistance to General Managers and other critical stakeholders at assigned co-ops to deliver a strong customer experience, achieve financial and operational success and allow for long-term organizational stability and continuity.
- Provide direction and assistance to co-ops to meet established financial goals for sales, earnings and productivity.
- Refer co-ops to internal and/or third party resources and technical assistance to meet identified needs and objectives.
- Work with boards of directors to ensure adequate GM oversight and support necessary to achieve desired results. Provide boards with updates and market context as needed.
- Assess and strengthen co-ops' capacity for growth, and coordinate with other NCG positions to support well-executed expansion and improvement projects.
- Help struggling co-ops develop realistic improvement plans and budgets and be proactive partners in recovery.
- Minimum five years of retail food store leadership experience.
- Understanding of retail food operations, including retail financial analysis, P&L management and cash flow management.
- Supervisory experience, team-building skills and demonstrated ability to build consensus among diverse stakeholders.
- Knowledge of effective personnel policies and experience in employee engagement, change management, and improving employee relations.
- Experience in developing strategic plans, budgets, and managing resources within budgetary limitations.
- Experience working with boards of directors.
- Experience securing capital and working with lenders.
- Ability to mentor co-op managers and other key stakeholders and support their needs.
- Computer literacy with Microsoft office and CRM software.
- Demonstrated ability to plan for, carry out and provide support for projects with minimal supervision.
- Experience with remodel and expansion projects, multi-store management, and working in union and non-union environments preferred.
- Familiarity with retail food co-ops and natural and organic food retailing preferred.
Apply by: April 18, 2021
Benefits, benefits, benefits! Our team members are our most-valued asset; we offer a generous salary and benefits package including 4 weeks PTO at hire, medical, dental, vision, company paid Life/ Disability/ Long Term Care insurance, HSA/FSA with company contribution, a matching 401K plan with profit sharing and much, much more.
We are a learning organization on a continuous journey to build a positive and inclusive culture that values a diversity of ideas, perspectives and identities. We foster an environment where everyone is treated with dignity and respect, where we are inspired by our work and proud of our contributions.
Individuals with Disabilities - National Co+op Grocers wants all interested and qualified candidates to be able to use this career site to review and apply for employment opportunities. If you have a disability and need an accommodation to access this site, please contact us for assistance at (866) 709-2667 ext. 2992.
Equal Opportunity - National Co+op Grocers is an equal opportunity employer. We hire qualified individuals without regard to age, race, color, national origin or ancestry, alienage or citizenship status, creed, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, status with regard to public assistance, pregnancy, physical/sensory/mental disability, genetic disposition, veteran or military status, membership or activity in a local human rights commission, arrest or conviction record, or any other protected category in accordance with applicable laws.