YOU: Enjoy working both independently and as a part of a collaborative, supportive, lean-but-mean team. We work hard, we are committed, and we’re proud of our accomplishments. We also believe in work/life balance. We want you to help our communications efforts grow and for you to grow with us.
Want to know more? We are a small but mighty team with a mission to promote responsible commerce of herbal products to ensure that consumers continue to enjoy informed access to a wide variety of herbal goods. Our members appreciate our deep subject matter expertise, especially in the areas of regulation, legal, science and government relations. They also appreciate our role as industry leaders.
The package: AHPA offers a competitive compensation and benefits package including PTO, paid holidays, employee health, vision and dental plan, and a SIMPLE IRA with employer match.
Want to be part of a growing, dynamic industry?
We are seeking an enthusiastic self-starter with a combination of publicity and marketing skills who will thrive by expanding the association’s proactive communications activities. Our ideal new team member is gifted with the ability to juggle multiple priorities and projects and have a healthy respect for deadlines. If you appreciate autonomy in making decisions and revel in the ability to strategically back up your decisions. If you can stretch small budgets for maximum impact. If you’re customer service-oriented with a pitch-in and can-do attitude. If you play well with others and take pride in working hard to achieve demonstrable results. If all that sounds like you, then we want to hear from you! Of course, you have a general interest in wellness and an openness to the benefits of herbal products/dietary supplements.
US: The American Herbal Products Association (AHPA) is the national trade association and voice of the herbal products industry.
THE POSITION: The AHPA Manager of Communications & Marketing works closely with the AHPA Vice President of Marketing & Engagement to develop communications and marketing strategies to support the Association’s mission and membership.
This position has primary responsibility for developing and executing communications, marketing, public relations and digital tactics to support those strategies. In addition, the Manager communicates and publicizes the specific work of AHPA, including individual department initiatives, to its membership and a variety of external audiences.
Your overall objective will be to ensure that AHPA is widely recognized by its Members and other audiences (including media) for its leadership, work product and successes on behalf of its membership and the herbal products and dietary supplement industries at large.
This position reports to the Vice President of Marketing & Engagement and works proactively and cooperatively with other AHPA staff, including the AHPA President. The position will work in the AHPA headquarters in Silver Spring, Maryland.
- Supervise development and distribution of regular communiques to members (and occasionally prospective members), including AHPA Updates, AHPA Alerts and a monthly AHPA newsletter.
- Oversee communications aspects of the AHPA website, including ongoing evaluation of the site’s visibility and influence; posting updated content on a timely basis; maintaining an online Website industry event calendar; and conducting ongoing review of the website to reorganize materials, fix broken links and archive content as needed.
- Build working relationships with communications staff at other industry trade associations and relevant organizations and with media officers at key regulatory agencies.
- Reimagine and produce AHPA Annual Report.
- Search and compile daily clips reports to identify those articles/news reports most relevant for AHPA staff and for use in Updates and Alerts.
- Develop and execute a strong, proactive publicity plan (with primary emphasis on trade media) to position AHPA as the voice of the herbal products industry and a leader in the dietary supplement industry using a variety of tactics including press releases, by-lined articles, proactive pitches, press interviews, editorial calendars, social platforms, digital content creation and marketing.
- Create opportunities for publicity through AHPA initiatives and positions, AHPA products (e.g., Botanical Safety Handbook, Herbs of Commerce, etc.), AHPA milestones (e.g., Committee anniversaries), and the work of AHPA committees (e.g., AHPA annual Awards).
- Maintain and regularly update media lists for publicity purposes, with specific emphasis on industry (including natural products/dietary supplements, Hill, and association trade outlets).
- Build strong relationships with industry trade press (and others as appropriate), and actively monitor industry media outlets to best understand publicity and pitching opportunities.
- Respond in a timely and efficient manner to incoming press calls, liaising with staff to determine the best method for response to secure key positioning in articles either through arranging interviews with AHPA senior staff or developing written responses. Take ownership for counseling AHPA senior staff on the best approach for each interview opportunity.
- Oversee media training for key AHPA staff, as needed.
- Develop strategic marketing plans and execute tactics for publicizing and driving attendance to AHPA educational events, working in close coordination with team members.
- Track and report on analytics for marketing projects, sponsorships, social media, traditional media exposure and website traffic.
- Develop marketing materials/vehicles to support membership retention and development and support sponsor marketing objectives.
- Build on AHPA’s social media identity and develop a strategy to grow AHPA’s digital footprint. Manage AHPA’s social media platforms including social listening, posting regularly, and driving stronger engagement.
- Represent AHPA at industry trade shows and other events to build relationships, create publicity opportunities and report back on content to AHPA staff and members.
- Liaise with outside consultants/freelancers (e.g., graphic designer, PR/Marketing agencies, communications consultants, etc.) as directed.
- Assist in planning and managing a budget for AHPA’s communications and marketing functions.
- Work with other industry and herbal organizations to publicize cooperative industry events.
- Strong writer and effective oral communicator with an ability to understand and communicate scientific content and regulatory issues to a professional and lay audience.
- Expertise in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Proficiency in (or a willingness and ability to learn) Content Management System (DNN), design-graphic software (e.g., Photoshop, InDesign), platforms/apps/software for creating video content and podcasts, online meeting software/web conferencing (GoToMeeting.com, GoToWebinar.com), Association Management Software (GoMembers).
- Fluency and hands-on capability in social media platforms (including Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube).
- Strategic thinker with hands-on skills.
- Multi-tasker with strong attention to detail.
- Ability to travel to key industry events (post-pandemic).
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Minimum three years relevant experience in communications/public relations/marketing.
How to Apply:
Please provide the following in your application:
- personalized cover letter including either desired salary range or salary history
- and two relevant writing samples
TIP: You can save all three as one document and upload as your resume.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.