The Café Manager is responsible for ensuring a phenomenal experience for customers in the Café area through leading product and service selection, high product quality, and consistently exceptional customer experience. This position upholds the co-op’s standards through effectively developing and supporting their team, implementing efficient and productive systems, demonstrating stellar leadership, and being accountable for the financial performance of the department all in a manner that demonstrates the values of Sacramento Natural Foods Co-op and the co-operative identity.
FLSA STATUS Exempt
REPORTS TO Store Director
SUPERVISES Assistant Café Manager, Café Clerks
APPLY BY To guarantee you are considered for this position, apply by April 30, 2021. Applications received after that date will be considered on a rolling basis if the position is not yet filled.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Uphold all Co-op policies, procedures and expectations.
- Ensure the department operates effectively and efficiently; facilitate day-to-day operation and guarantee performance standards are met and that employees consistently work towards their ideal and peak performance.
- Exceed our customers’ expectations for service and provide a welcoming environment for all people and all diverse backgrounds and in accordance with the Co-op’s customer service standards.
- Model, provide, and ensure customers receive prompt, friendly and courteous services in a professional manner that markets our cooperative advantage.
- Maintain a calm and friendly demeanor with all customers and in all situations.
- Produce customer experience that is competitive and engaging for individuals of diverse backgrounds.
- Develop and maintain beautiful, clean and full displays of merchandise.
- Ensure attractive and accurate signage throughout department.
- Ensure compliance with weights and measures, food safety, and security laws and regulations.
- Oversee equipment cleanliness and preventative maintenance programs.
- Ensure high quality and consistency of all food service products.
- Create and develop high quality made-to-order menu items.
- Ensure effective procurement and production procedures for the Café.
- Oversee and audit inventories of product, tools, and equipment.
- Stay abreast of new products and new technology within the industry.
- Promptly and accurately complete all administrative responsibilities.
- Plan, audit, and update department programs including attractive catering program.
- Set departmental goals with the Food Service Manager and support teams to achieve them.
- Design and monitor effective training programs for all positions in Food Service and Kitchen including excellent customer service, and keeping clean, orderly, and neat work areas and displays.
- Ensure regular and timely evaluations of all department staff.
- Model supportive and participatory leadership qualities to promote team building.
- Set clear expectations for performance and hold staff accountable for achieving those standards.
- Treat staff with consistency and fairness.
- Create and post a weekly department schedule for the Café department.
- Ensure prompt and effective communication within the department.
- Establish annual departmental budgets to include sales, gross margin, labor cost (%) and net profit.
- Monitor and ensure labor and margin ranges comply with approved budget.
- Monitor and ensure direct and indirect expenses comply with approved budget.
- Understand equations, reports and financial terms used in the Co-op’s grocery retail management systems.
- Lead department inventory counts, storewide cleaning, and other projects as needed.
- Attend meetings and events as requested.
- Ensure equipment repair and maintenance is communicated to appropriate personnel and make adjustments until equipment has been improved.
- Maintain working knowledge of and ability to perform all duties of direct reports.
- Adhere to department dress code.
- Demonstrate support for the cooperative values and principles daily.
- Compile information and contribute to reports as needed.
- Perform other duties and work in other departments as assigned.
- Know and uphold the Co-op Manager General Responsibilities daily.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.