A Senior Botanical Nutrition Scientist serves as an internal and external expert scientist in the field of nutrition science (including botanicals, vitamins, minerals and other dietary ingredients), and dietary supplementation. Has a deep understanding of nutrition science, with a particular interest and expertise in botanicals, vitamins, minerals, or other area of nutrition. Ensures scientific evidence supports product safety and efficacy through scientific due diligence and management of clinical trials. Identifies and provides scientific guidance for new products, technologies, and other business initiatives that support business strategies and objectives. Reports to the Manager of Nutrition Science.
*Location: West Hills, CA (Hybrid)
*Relocation Benefits Offered
Critical contributions this role is counted on to deliver include:
- Providing scientific analysis/interpretation, due diligence, and technical fortitude for product formulations, labeling and advertising claims, consumer, and trade promotions.
- Providing scientific foundation for consumer-facing materials and external affairs.
- Leading and delivering scientific research projects that align with business initiatives.
- Actively participating in new product development, from discovery and initial feasibility assessment to product qualification, business evaluation and commercialization.
- Contributing new ideas that drive consumer health through scientific and technical insights.
- Serving on cross-functional project teams to deliver timely results
- Developing a strong network of scientific advisors and consultants; interfacing with key opinion leaders and scientific advisory board members.
- Serving as a communicator on nutrition matters within subject matter expertise as necessary.
- Monitoring and analyzing new scientific information related to dietary supplements and dietary ingredients within subject matter expertise; disseminating relevant information to key internal stakeholders.
The Ideal Candidate brings two-five years of experience in a similar role in nutrition, food or pharmaceutical sciences, particularly in the botanical area. You identify and provide scientific guidance for new products, technologies, and other business initiatives that support business strategies and objectives. Clinical and pre-clinical study design, development, and execution is desired.
You’ll be most successful in this role if you have:
- Ability to apply knowledge of human physiology and clinical nutrition to meet consumer needs.
- Demonstrated skills in critical analysis of scientific results, and translation of scientific results to claims.
- Demonstrated skills in conducting scientific research by critical thinking, evaluation of existing research, study design, and analysis and interpretation of scientific data.
- Demonstrated skills in collaborating cross-functionally, prioritization, time management, and project management from planning to delivery of results.
- Ability to translate and communicate complex scientific principles to non-scientists.
- Ability to continually integrate new learnings with existing knowledge.
- Experience with botanical ingredients is a plus.
In order to take on these challenges, you’ll need to have:
- Advanced degree (PhD, MD, DO, PharmD, MS, etc.) in Nutrition Science, Pharmacology, Biochemistry, or related field.
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in scientific studies evaluation for product claim development, clinical trial design, development, and execution, in a similar role in nutrition, food, or pharmaceutical companies in addition to PhD, MD, DO, or PharmD degree Or a minimum of 5 years of experience with a Master’s degree.
- Proven track record of presenting and publishing in the field of nutrition sciences and/or botanical ingredients for human health.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including confidence with public speaking and engagement with presenting to employees, customers, and scientific peers.
- Strong knowledge in physiology and nutrition science.
- Knowledge and experience with botanical ingredients are strongly preferred.
- A minimum of 10-20% travel via car or plane is expected.