The Formulator & Medical Researcher is a core member of the Care/of Innovation and Physical Product Team. In this role, you will pair your scientific training and expertise with creativity and passion for natural healing, to create compelling & science-backed new products that advance the Care/of mission. A strong passion for scientific research is required for this role, as you will search the literature for appropriate inspiration for new products and substantiation for product claims. You have a curiosity for new dietary ingredients and application of functional herbs, nutrients and foods that broaden the available health benefits to Care/of consumers. You will also play an important and active role delivering the Care/of innovation roadmap and other key strategic initiatives, including both Direct to Consumer and retail partners.
As part of the Formulation and Medical Affairs Team, you will
- Formulate new products that address key Care/of consumers areas of health interest that are safe, effective and supported by all available science.
- Develop compelling scientific summaries that span the literature, locate compelling references and use strong scientific writing skills to build evidence tables and substantiation for the physiological activity and product claims for each formula.
- Review and revise existing products technical files as needed.
- Partner with Regulatory & Scientific Affairs, New Products and Digital, Supply Network, and Quality in a cross-functional manner to facilitate product development from ideation all the way through commercialization.
- Uncover up to date science about vitamins, minerals, nutrients and herbs as a way to continue to showcase how the business stays current with the medical literature.
- Craft and deliver written and verbal medical education presentations that provide product and scientific education for Care/of employees and external audiences who possess varying levels of scientific understanding.
- Participate in clinical research opportunities to further Care/of’s brand and vision.
Who you are:
- A trained practitioner with an advanced applied health science degree (Naturopathic Physician, Master Herbalist, Dietician/Nutritionist, PhD, etc.) that has a strong passion for researching and formulating natural products
- Minimum of 3 years of experience creating new products & conducting scientific research in the dietary supplement and/or functional food industries.
- Thorough knowledge, experience, and deep understanding of GMP regulations as they pertain to 21 CFR Part 111 and how they impact product formulations, raw material ingredients, controlled documents and claims.
- Effective technical researcher and writer with strong interpersonal, communication and analytical skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects, work independently, and within cross-functional teams.
Extra carrots (preferred, but not required):
- Published scientific author on topics related to applied health and nutrition.
- Passion for herbal medicine and direct experience formulating with them individually as well as combining herbs for maximum benefit and minimum side effects.
- Experience working in or with high-growth start-ups
- Experience in e-commerce of consumer products
Even if you don’t meet all the requirements, we still encourage you to apply! When submitting a cover letter, please note what makes you perfect for this role with the qualifications you have.
- Competitive salary + compensation package
- Competitive insurance packages with free medical, dental, vision plans.
- Unlimited vacation time because you deserve it.
- Free vitamins and powders
- Wellness perks with free access to online meditation services + fitness reimbursements (at-home workouts count!)
- Virtual team-building events because we value staying connected and building community.
- Socially and culturally relevant experiences geared towards personal + professional learning & development.
- Working with an amazing, fun-loving, spirited group of people.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.